Part 8 Former Rialto Cinema to Digital and Enterprise Hub.
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000, as amended,
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2001, as amended
ARTICLE 81 OF PART 8 OF THE PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2001, as amended
Pursuant to the requirements of Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended, Tipperary County Council hereby gives notice that it proposes to carry out the following development:
Description: The former Rialto Cinema is a Protected Structure constructed circa 1946, which is proposed to be repurposed as a digital and enterprise hub with proposed new extensions, public realm improvements and car parking within the site curtilage will combine to support the requirements of the new facility.
Location: The proposed development will be carried out at the former Rialto Cinema, former Sheehan’s Hardware, Banba Square, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary (Nenagh North) and the associated brownfield site fronting onto Banba Square with site boundaries also on Ashe Road and Emmet Place.
Nature and Extent of Proposed Development
Refurbishment and repurposing for digital and enterprise hub use of the two storey former Rialto Cinema which sits to the north east of the application site fronting onto Banba Square and development of the lands to the south and west of the Protected Structure for public realm and car parking. The former Rialto Cinema is a protected structure (RPS Reference 3) and the site lies within an Architectural Conservation Area. Works involve:
- Refurbishment with internal and external alterations to the Protected Structure (former Rialto Cinema) including installation of new windows and doors, building fabric upgrades for energy efficiency, building services installations, installation of a new lift which will access all floors, installation of new fully accessible toilets on the ground floor, installation of new first floor structure in lieu of non-original existing floor structure, new roof coverings and the removal of non-loadbearing infill material from flank elevations.
The building has a gross internal area of 610m2 on the ground floor, 585m2 on the first floor and 50m2 on the second floor giving a gross internal area of 1,245m2.
- New single storey extension to the western (flank) elevation of the former Rialto Cinema building.
- New first floor extensions to the southern (rear) elevation of the former Rialto Cinema building including new glazed openings to the existing southern (rear) elevation of the former Rialto Cinema building at ground and first floor.
- New glazed openings to the eastern and western (flank) elevations of the former Rialto Cinema building at ground and first floors.
- Demolition of boundary walls to the north, south and (part) south east of the application site.
- Demolition of the single storey lean-to structures throughout the existing yard to the south and west of the former Rialto Cinema building.
- Accessible public realm comprised of predominently hard landscaping with soft landscaping areas including installation of new edgings at junctions between hard and soft landscaping, asphalt surfacing to car park, natural stone paving to the public areas, with installation of Nature Based Sustainable Urban Drainage Management system.
- Installation of low-level lighting to public realm and feature lighting to former Rialto Cinema building.
- Provision of 8no. secure car parking spaces to service the digital and enterprise hub including 1no. accessible parking space in close proximity to the building entrance from the public realm, provision of EV charging point and short stay secure bicycle parking.
- Development of a vehicle access security system at the vehicle entrance to the digital and enterprise hub secure parking area.
The development has been the subject of an Appropriate Assessment (AA) screening in accordance with Article 6(3) of the EU Habitats Directive (Directive 92/43/EEC) and article 250(1) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended. The Appropriate Assessment (AA) screening concluded that the proposed development would not be likely to give rise to significant or indeterminate impacts on any Natura 2000 site.
In accordance with Article 120(1)(a) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended, the Planning Authority has carried out a preliminary examination of nature, size and location of the proposal, and has concluded that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development, and an EIA is not required.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development, including the Appropriate Assessment (AA) and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Screening Reports, will be available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, or for inspection at:
- Nenagh Library, O’Rahilly Street, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, E45 AK50
- Tipperary County Council, Civic Offices, Limerick Road, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, E45 A099
from 9.30 am – 4.30 pm Monday to Friday, for a period from the 15th November to 12th December 2023.
Details of the proposed development are also available online at https://planning.localgov.ie or https://consultations.tipperarycoco.ie/consultations/part-8-former-rialto-cinema-digital-and-enterprise-hub.
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development will be situated, may be made in writing and addressed to Marcus O’Connor, Director of Services, Nenagh Municipal District, Civic Offices, Limerick Road, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary and should be clearly marked ‘Part 8 in respect of former Rialto Cinema, Nenagh’ or online at the following web page: https://consultations.tipperarycoco.ie/consultations/part-8-former-rialto-cinema-digital-and-enterprise-hub no later than 4.30 pm on 4th January 2024.
Any person may, within 4 weeks from the date of this notice, apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment.
Director of Services
Nenagh Municipal District,
Tipperary County Council, Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary